So this is quite the random post but believe it or not wearing a fake mustache in church actually made it into the law books in one U.S. state. That state is none other than Alabama. The premise behind the law was that it was thought to make people laugh in church and disturb the service. I guess some kids got together one day and wore fake mustaches to church and made everyone laugh. Maybe the mayor was in church that day and started the legislation, who knows.
Is the law real though?
Now this supposed crazy Alabama law has made it’s rounds on the internet with memes and funny articles but the fact is I can’t find any concrete evidence that the actual law mentions anything about a mustache specifically. All I can find is this:
if someone (without lawful authority) disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons they have committed the crime of disorderly conduct
Going by this, if someone wore a fake mustache to church with the intention of making people laugh and disturbing the service it could be considered disorderly conduct and therefore could get them up to 3 months in jail. If you read this and have a link to the actual law that states “you can’t wear a mustache in church in Alabama” then leave it in the comments please, but I don’t think it exists.
To answer the question at hand, “does any U.S. state allow fake mustaches in church?” the answer is yes, they all do. Apparently in Alabama though, if you wear one and it makes people laugh and disturbs the assembly of people that comes with a church service, you have committed disorderly conduct.
More dumb Alabama laws still on the books
If the actual law doesn’t have the word mustache in it it’s not quite as amusing is it? Don’t worry that’s not the only ridiculous law that Alabama cooked up for us, below are a list of some that I found especially wacky. I can’t vouch for these laws, I found them on the internet as well and did not research each one, but I wouldn’t put it past ‘ole Bama.
- It is illegal to maim oneself to escape duty
- Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
- It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street if you have a lantern attached to the front of your automobile.
- You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
- It is illegal to sell peanuts in Lee County after sundown on Wednesday.
- Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
Other idiotic state laws in the U.S.
So there you have it, some of the most ridiculous laws in Alabama. You may be what in the hell was wrong with Alabama?? Well don’t be too hard on AL, there are a bunch of crazy laws like this in other states too. Disclaimer: I can’t vouch for the authenticity of these laws, I just found them on the internet. Here are just a few of my favorites:
- Connecticut – One is not to walk backwards after sunset
- Hawaii – You cannot place a coin behind your ear
- Maine – Nobody is to step out of a plane mid-flight
- Minnesota – Nobody is to cross state lines with a duck atop their head
- New Hampshire – Tapping feet, nodding head, or moving to music in any water is prohibited in restaurants (what??)
- North Carolina – It is illegal to sing off-key
- North Dakota – The serving of beer and pretzels simultaneously is not allowed
- Tennessee – it is prohibited to catch a fish using a lasso
- Washington – It is prohibited to harass Bigfoot (saved the best for last)