Every state has its share of dumb laws. Laws that seem to make no sense, and that make you genuinely question why anyone would make such a law. Even though many of these laws are ridiculous and not enforced for obvious reasons, they are still in the law books in Georgia. Take a look at these 25 dumb laws in Georgia.
25 dumb laws in Georgia
1. The flooring of adult bookstores must be smooth and non-absorbent. We’ll leave you to guess at the reasons why.
2. It’s illegal to keep a donkey in a bathtub. Just think, at some point, someone kept a donkey in a bathtub in Georgia, and it turned out so badly that the government felt the need to pass a law about it.
3. On Sunday’s, you may not carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket. Why anyone would be keeping an ice cream cone there in the first place is mystifying.
4. You can cannot engage in erotic dancing on Sunday’s. Every other day of the week is fine though, so dance away.
5. Persons may not wear hoods in public. That’s right, your favorite hoodie is semi illegal, except in private. Keep that hood down. Masks, too, are banned.
6. In Athens-Clarke County, you may not give away goldfish to entice someone into a game of Bingo. It’s unclear if this is for the goldfish’s protection, or yours.
7. Members of the State Assembly may not be ticketed for speeding while the State Assembly is in session. Gee, who could’ve come up with that law…
8. In Atlanta, one man may not give another man a piggy-back ride. Sorry to spoil your weekend plans.
9. In Columbus, GA, you cannot decapitate a chicken on Sunday. No word on other methods of chicken dismemberment, though.
10. You can’t place a dead bird on your neighbors lawn. Technically, this law applies to all dead animals. You have to wonder what neighbor feuds looked like in Georgia before this law was passed.
11. You cannot cuss over the phone in Columbus, GA. If they actually enforced this, surely the whole city would be behind bars by now.
12. On Mondays, after 11pm, you can’t whistle. Save those late night whistling sessions for Tuesday night, you heathen.
13. In Atlanta, you cannot tie a giraffe to a pole or street lamp. It’s probably best not to take your giraffe to Atlanta, then.
14. You cannot picnic in a graveyard. Just imagine a how bad the graveyard picnic epidemic must have been for there to be a law about it.
15. You cannot live on a boat for more than 30 days in a calendar year. Houseboat salesmen in Georgia must be destitute.
16. In Columbus, GA, you cannot activate a stinkbomb. The city must smell GREAT.
17. In Gainesville, GA, you cannot eat chicken with a fork. How dare you defile your chicken that way.
18. You cannot tease an idiot. This probably means that huge swathes of the internet are illegal there.
19. You have the right to commit mild battery if you are provoked by “fighting” words. Georgia is not the place to go ticking people off.
20. In Acworth, GA, all citizens must own a rake. Oddly, the law does not require that you also use the rake.
21. In Jonesboro, GA, it is illegal to say “Oh, boy.” Oh boy, we’d be in trouble.
22. In Marietta, GA, it is illegal to spit from a car or bus. Spitting from a truck is perfectly fine, though.
23. In Quitman, GA, cars are not permitted to drive on sidewalks. Good to know.
24. It’s also illegal in Quitman for a chicken to cross the road. They probably heard one too many “why did the chicken cross the road” jokes.
25. In St. Mary’s, GA, it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk after dark. Get all your sidewalk spitting done before sunset, please.